Sunday, September 26, 2010

Solomon Remembers the Terrible Years

Lesson Four
Study Reference Ecclesiastes Chapter Four

“So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter. Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive. Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 4:1-3

I cannot ever remember a time when there was not a war going on somewhere in this world. I was born in a time when everyone just knew we could never afford another war like WWII. This had to be the end of all war. But it wasn’t. Solomon remembered the years of war his father fought and was brought up in terrible times also. Like myself, Solomon never was called to bare the sword, nevertheless, the ripple effect found its way into Solomon’s life, and my life. I have come to the realization that there will always be someone who oppresses the innocents and weak. They are the ones with an alter ego or an idealist with radical views always trying to push their agenda on the unaware to the extent that it becomes a matter of life and death. History is repeating itself again and again and so it is today.

I was surprised to read Solomon praising the dead. I thought that to be an odd thing to do, but I began to understand its meaning.

To quote Stanley Baldwin; “War would end if the dead could return.”

Or, to quote my favorite, Plato; “It is only the dead who have seen the end of war”.

Although I enjoy quoting Plato, I would have to agree more readily with Stanley Baldwin.
My wife and I spend some of our leisure time walking through graveyards collecting names and dates from the headstones for our ongoing genealogy research. I have always known a secret in my heart as I wonder around grave after grave that I will tell you now. I have realized that the dead are time capsules of hidden knowledge, wisdom, and have secrets hidden away and the answers of life we only guess at. I have found myself wondering as I stand over a grave, what was it that this person took with them that could have helped others know the truth about things in their life? People take a lot of things to the grave, things that should have been known, things that could have possibly changed history. Solomon knew this to be true also because this is what he was saying. But Solomon goes one step further.

Solomon begins to praise those who have not been born yet. He praises them because they know no heartache, they know no pain, they know not what it is like to worry and fret over things that threaten change to our lives. Yes, it is the absence of sweet bliss, not knowing about anything, that upsets us. Only that person that is taken before they live life dies in peace. Maybe, this is why God allows abortion to prevail in our society today? He could put an end to it, but doesn’t. God will put an end to war, which is a fact.

I can say assuredly, I love the life that I have and enjoy its simple pleasures. I do have feelings of sadness for the dead and for those who have never lived a life here. But, in the end, the truth will all come out and be known amongst all living things. Almighty God will see to that. But those who die without Jehovah God and Lord Jesus in their lives are those who will fare worse off than all the rest. To have lived life without Jehovah God is the worst possible thing that could have ever happened to them according to God’s Word.

For example, the unborn and aborted children will be right back where they came from God in an instant. Can you imagine with me for an instant what it would be like to have a precious gift thrown back at your face? It happens to God everyday with the aborted children that are run through the social killing program. That is a truth from God’s own word. But, for those who live life knowing and experiencing God, live joyful and happy lives despite the hardships and pain. The reality of it is, their bodies go back to the earth from whence it came, and their soul, bought and paid for by the sacrifice of Christ Jesus, is ushered into Glory, their eternal home with Jesus. From now on, where Jesus goes, they follow.

For those who live life and experience it without Christ Jesus and the Holy Father, Jehovah God, it would have been better if they had never been born. As Solomon would have to agree, this is also vanity and vexation of the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment