Sunday, August 22, 2010

Expendable Children?

It was Friday after 4:00 PM and on my way home from work when I decided to turn down a side street when I came up upon a little girl playing with her bicycle. The closer I got to her the more I noticed how small and petite she was. I was amazed that she would be playing in the street by herself. I began thinking to myself that there is no way possible I would allow my little girl playing street like that. I began to think how devastating it would be to lose a child just by simple negligence. The more I thought about it the more downcast my heart became. I began to think of my children, my daughter and son, and my three grandsons; all are so precious to me. I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to lose one of them. That is one experience I hope and pray never happens to me.

I began to think upon the Scriptures in the book of Genesis were Adam and Eve had lost a son, his name was Able. I contemplated how hard it must have been on Eve, the mother of all living. She had lost her eldest son by the hand of another son who had gotten mad and jealous of him. Adam and Eve both had to deal with a death for the very first time. After losing Able, they tried to comfort themselves by having another son, his name was Seth. I'm sure there was no comfort to be found no matter how many children they decided to have. They would always have empty place in their heart for their son Able and as long as they lived they would be reminded because there would always be the empty chair at the supper table.

When Able was born into this world he was an individual and could never be replaced. In our society today we don't realize the importance of a child's individuality. The truth is we are all unique. We all are irreplaceable no matter how we look at it. Yes, someone can step up to your place, but they cannot replace you. The world will have you to believe that you can be replaced and I have heard it said by parents that they could replace their children if they wanted to. If we really think about that statement, we will realize it is just a lie to smooth over the guilt and hurt.

Psalms of David describe his existence and his birth in this manner.

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David “O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. Whither shall I go from thy spirit? Or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. If I say, surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.” Psalms 139:1-18

As we read this Scripture we can attest how important the individual really is. David exclaims that he is fearfully and wonderfully made. But not only that, God has made him conscious of his own individuality. When we study the Bible we will come to realize how important every individual and every soul is in this world. God doesn't make people just to be making people. He brings people into this world by divine purpose even though we might not be able to see at the time. To us, some children might look like an accident; even so, God doesn't make mistakes. We make the mistakes and God alone can take our mistakes and makes something wonderful from it. Children are a gift of God no matter how they come into this world. When that same child leaves this world, his mark is indelible, never to be repeated again, irreplaceable.

“Lo, children are a heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.” Psalms 127:3-5

1 comment: